As ghosts and goblins begin to haunt the Halloween season in Acadiana, avoid being spooked by fly-by-night retail and online stores selling costumes and decorations.
Pop-up stores and websites offering Halloween costumes and decorations seem to come out of nowhere every fall. Better Business Bureau of Acadiana advises shoppers to check unfamiliar stores or websites out with BBB before buying.
BBB, which lets people know about schemes and rip-offs, receives hundreds of complaints about costume stores and websites every year. Complaints range from deliveries that were late or never arrived to poor quality and difficulty obtaining refunds.
Complaints about products at temporary stores ranged from a nonworking mechanical decorations to costumes that ripped as they were being put on by children. In several cases, store employees told customers they could not return items because they had been used, were broken during the unpacking process or that they were returned past a posted store deadline.
Some customers found stores closed when they returned to report a problem.
BBB has issued warnings in the past about specific websites that sell human and animal costumes. BBB offers these tips to help you avoid being haunted after Halloween is over:
- Start with Trust®. If you're interested in trying a new or unfamiliar online merchant, ask the company for its physical location (address and phone number) so you can check its BBB Business Review.
- Determine the company's refund and return policies before you buy. If online companies can’t offer concrete commitments on how they will handle any potential problems you may have with their products or services, reconsider doing business with them.
- Leave nothing to chance. Be sure you have a thorough understanding of everything involved before placing an order. Be clear on the price and any shipping and handling charges. Know the terms of any product or service guarantees. Find out how long it will be before you receive your order. Federal law requires that goods and services be delivered within 30 days, unless a different delivery period is specifically stated by the merchant.
- Guard your personal information. Only provide your credit card number online in a secure environment. Look for the prefix “https://” in the URL box listing the website’s address to be sure that the site you are using is secure.
- Ask how long a store will operate. If you’re buying from a seasonal store, ask whether it will be open after the holiday and whether it will accept returns when the season is over. If not, consider buying elsewhere or taking more time to be sure the item is exactly what you want before making the purchase.
BBB works for a trustworthy marketplace by maintaining standards for truthful advertising,investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses. For morethan 100 years, BBB has helped consumers make smarter buying decisions and is evolving to meet fast-changing marketplace needs.
The BBB of Acadiana services the parishes of Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Martin, St.Landry and Vermilion.
Acadiana residents can now have BBB information in the palm of their hand with the official BBB Search app, a convenient, mobile BBB solution available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.The app can be found at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bbb-search-find-local-businesses/id440014505?mt=8.
Please like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Better-Business-Bureau-of-Acadiana/128753980500452?fref=ts.